- 6 to 8 slices French bread, crust removed, 1/4″ thick
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- 1 large can (7 oz.) Ortega green chilies, diced
- 1 lb. crumbled cooked turkey bacon
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp. salt
- Dash of oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
Butter the French bread and place buttered side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over French bread. Sprinkle chilies over cheese, then spread turkey bacon over chiles. Beat together eggs, milk and seasonings until well blended. Pour over other ingredients and cover with foil. Bake at 325 degrees about 50 minutes. Serves 8-10.
* Next time I am going to make this casserole using whole wheat English muffins, instead of French bread.
Source: My mom, Dorothy Urban