- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cups fine grain bulgur (or couscous)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas
- 3/4 cup red pepper paste (recipe below, or use store-bought)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- Tahini sauce to serve (recipe below)
Combine lentils and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in bulgur. Let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is soft, about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent. Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
Add onions, scallions, parsley, and salt to lentil-bulgur mixture and stir until well combined. Let cool before using to make wraps. You can freeze the filling in an airtight container if not using all at once.
To assemble, lay out a tortilla with the shorter end closest to you. Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of red pepper paste across the lower 1/3 of the sheet. Top with the lentil-bulgur mixture, and then the cabbage. Roll from the bottom up, and spread an additional 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper paste across the top end to help seal the wrap. Repeat for remaining wraps.
To serve, cut each wrap in half and serve with tahini sauce on the side. Makes 6 wraps.
Red Pepper Paste – Makes about 3/4 cup
- 6 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Olive oil to cover (if refrigerating)
Combine bell peppers, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor and puree.
Pour the puree into a skillet over low heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a paste. This can take up to 2 hours. Let cool before using. To store, pack the paste into a jar, pour enough olive oil on top to cover, and refrigerate.
Tahini Sauce – Makes about 3/4 cup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2/3 cup or more warm water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Place all ingredients in a small bowl and mix with a fork until well combined. Gradually stir in small amounts of additional warm water until the desired consistency is achieved.
Source: The Kitchn