I found this recipe via the Gulten-Free Goddess after looking for a delicious gluten-free pasta dish for Spring.
- 1 12-oz. box gluten-free brown rice penne
- 1 1-lb. bunch thin asparagus
- Extra virgin olive oil, as needed
- 1 large lemon
- 1/2 cup Vegenaise (buy at whole foods)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram (or use oregeno)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
Wash the asparagus and trim off tough ends. Grill in a grill pan (or on a hot grill) until the spears are tender-crisp – don’t over-cook. You want them smoky and slightly crisp. Remove them from the grill pan or grill and let them cool a bit. Slice them into bite-size lengths.
When the pasta is cooked to al dente, drain well and pour into a large bowl. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, toss lightly to coat. Squeeze lemon juice all over the pasta and toss gently. Add the Vegenaise, asparagus, and fresh chopped herbs. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Again, toss gently to combine.
Serve immediately at room temperature when the flavors are fresh and vibrant. You may also cover and chill, but before serving, allow the pasta salad to come up to room temperature for best flavor. Serves six.