My mom recently bought me muffin tins. Since I don’t ever make muffins, I figured this would be a great use for those tins! I saw this recipe on Food Gawker via The Dinnervine.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped zucchini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or white onion
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (rinsed from oil, and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese (for topping)
- 5 egg whites
- 3 egg yolks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika for topping
- Extra virgin olive oil (for sautéing veggies in skillet)
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 6 tray muffin tin well with oil, set aside. In skillet on stove sauté onion, garlic, and zucchini with about 1 tbsp olive oil, till tender. Drain any excess fluid/juices.
To skillet add chopped sun-dried tomatoes and spinach and continue to sauté for about another min. In a bowl whisk egg whites, yolks, basil, feta and mozzarella cheese, salt and pepper together.
In prepared muffin tin, add sautéed veggie mixture into each cup evenly (about 1/2 way up cup). To this spoon in egg & cheese mix filling to top of cups.
Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika. Bake about 20 minutes, until frittata sets and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
In pan, let frittatas cool on wire rack completely before removing from pan. To remove from pan, use knife to separate edges from tin, before removing by inverting muffin tin onto plate.