You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘appetizers’ category.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 lb 93% lean beef
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 cups reduced sodium beef stock
- 2 oz light cream cheese
I saw this recipe on The Kitchn via the food blog Iowa Girl Eats. I am going to make these next weekend! They have less than 50 calories each.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- salt & pepper
I made mini crab cakes this weekend for a party we held at our house. These crab cakes were delicious, and a great light, easy appetizer.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 6 teaspoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 10-12 ounces fresh lump crabmeat, picked over, patted dry, coarsely shredded
- 1 and a half cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Fresh chives, cut into pieces
I know I’ve posted about this salsa quite often, but it is my FAVORITE salsa ever. It goes with so many things…jicama, pita chips, fish, chicken, quinoa, salad, etc.
See full recipe HERE. Note: I added avocado to the recipe.
This past Saturday, we had an impromptu housewarming party at our new place in Santa Monica.
I found this recipe via JasonandShawnda.com; Photo via RunningToTheKitchen.com.
Ingredients – Makes 12 sliders:
For the pulled pork:
- 5 lbs pork shoulder roast
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 limes, juiced (1/4 cup) and zested
- 1-2 oranges, juiced (1/2 cup) and zested
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp oregano
For the sliders:
- 12 whole wheat slider buns
- Swiss cheese slices
- 1 lime, quartered
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Avocado slices
- Cilantro/red cabbage for garnish (optional)
My good friend Lauren got married this past weekend on the beach in Florida. It was such an amazing wedding. We ate a similar version of this appetizer at the reception (bacon-wrapped scallops), and I loved it!
I saw this recipe on A Cup of Jo, and I cannot wait to make these.
- Red seedless grapes
- 1 lb. goat cheese
- Large handful of crushed walnuts/pistachios
Wash the grapes and dry thoroughly. Gently mold goat cheese around individual grapes, carefully covering the entire grape. Chop walnuts, then roll cheese-covered grapes in walnuts (you may want to gently press the walnuts into the cheese for extra coverage). Chill before serving. Add toothpicks if desired.
Source: A Cup of Jo; Photo via Kitchen Tudor
This spicy pineapple salsa is one of my favorite appetizers. I am definetly going to make this on Sunday. See recipe HERE.
* Go Patriots!
A great “healthier” appetizer for Super Bowl parties…
- 3 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup salsa (green or red)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas (or whole wheat)
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
I recently discovered Mediterranean Snack Food Company Baked Lentil Chips chips while at Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago. They are a great healthy chip alternative for Super Bowl parties.
Cooking Light: “Salty and satisfying,” “better than potato chips,” and “so flavorful they don’t even need dip,” were just a few of the praises ringing out by Cooking Light staffers when they tasted The Mediterranean Snack Food Company Baked Lentil Chips. It was a toss up between Sea Salt & Cracked Pepper and Cucumber Dill for our favorite flavor, but all agreed that these fiber-rich, low-fat chips were a hit. The serving size is a whopping 22 chips!
Serving size: 1 oz/22 chips, 110 cals, 3g fat (0g sat fat), 0mg chol, 250mg sodium, 3g fiber, 4g protein
This “salad” immediately made me think of my Dad. In my entire life, I’ve NEVER seen him eat salad or any type of lettuce!
Greek Salad Bites AKA “The Man Salad”
- Cherry tomatoes, cut into halves or quarters
- Pitted Kalamata olives, cut into halves
- Continental cucumber, cut into circles then into quarters
- Feta, cut into cubes
- Olive oil (optional)
- 2 1/2 – 3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 cup chopped onion (1 large)
- 3/4 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 20 cocktail-size whole wheat hamburger buns or small round dinner rolls, split and toasted
- Deli coleslaw
- Sweet or dill pickles, coarsely chopped
- 1 Reed avocado, or 2-3 Haas Avocado
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped jicama
- sea salt and pepper to taste