You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘bread/grains’ category.
On Sunday, Greg barbecued the rest of the turkey burgers on our grill. I had to take a photo of his ultimate turkey burger!
Greg’s Ultimate Burger: BBQ turkey burger with turkey bacon, BBQ sauce, pineapple, mushrooms, onions and pineapple…all on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.
See full recipe HERE.
I cannot wait to try this recipe!!
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 of the peanut sauce (recipe below)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Ciabtta Rolls or whole wheat English muffins
- 3 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar (or honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Mango Salsa
- 1 mango, cubed
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha
- salt & pepper to taste
These black bean and sweet potato tacos are perfect for Cinco de Mayo. See recipe HERE.
Photo: Joy the Baker
- 1 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup Easy Tomato Sauce
Apple Onion Salad Recipe HERE.
Dinner last night was Trader Joe’s Thai Chicken Pizza. We added chopped yellow bell pepper and tons of arugula on the side. Delicious!
- Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 jar Trader Joe’s Peanut Satay Sauce
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsp unsalted Peanuts, chopped
- 4 green onions, cut lengthwise
- 1 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella
- Red pepper flakes & freshly ground black pepper
Nature’s Path Gluten Free Whole O’s Cereal
This cereal ($5) is USDA organic certified and is made with gluten-free ingredients like buckwheat, quinoa, millet, sorghum, amaranth, brown rice, flax, and whole grain corn. Whole O’s are high in fiber, low in sugar, and taste delicious. 110 calories per serving.
* I also LOVE Trader Joe’s Organic High Fiber O’s Cereal (similar NON gluten-free version)
General Mills Rice Chex
Most Chex cereals ($4) are gluten-free so you can enjoy Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Honey Nut Chex, Cinnamon Chex, and even Chocolate Chex without a spec of gluten.
Barbara’s Honey Rice Puffins
Crispy and sweet, Barbara’s Honey Rice Puffins ($5) are deliciously light and crunchy made with brown rice and the natural sweetness of honey. Buy at Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods.
* I ate Puffins ALL the time in college…for breakfast, lunch AND dinner sometimes.
Kay’s Naturals Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Protein Cereal
This is a great cereal option for those who want something similar to Cheerios. Kay’s Naturals Gluten Free Apple Cinnamon Protein Cereal ($5) is made with a variety of ingredients, including corn flour, rice flour, pea fiber, and evaporated cane juice; it’s also fat free. It even comes in an apple and cinnamon flavor.
I found this recipe via JasonandShawnda.com; Photo via RunningToTheKitchen.com.
Ingredients – Makes 12 sliders:
For the pulled pork:
- 5 lbs pork shoulder roast
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 limes, juiced (1/4 cup) and zested
- 1-2 oranges, juiced (1/2 cup) and zested
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp oregano
For the sliders:
- 12 whole wheat slider buns
- Swiss cheese slices
- 1 lime, quartered
- Thinly sliced red onions
- Avocado slices
- Cilantro/red cabbage for garnish (optional)
I am currently craving this Salad Pizza from Abbot’s Pizza on Abbot Kinney in Venice. Ingredients: chopped mixed greens, onion, tomato and basil topped with feta cheese and avocado with undercurrents of lemon dressing.