- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2/3 cup regular (pearled) barley
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. small fresh thyme sprigs or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
In saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender; stirring occasionally. Add barley; cook and stir 3 minutes or until barley starts to brown.
Carefully add broth, water, brown rice, dried thyme (if using), and chipotle pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 45 minutes or until barley and rice are tender and most of liquid is absorbed.
Stir in fresh thyme (if using). Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and pecans just before serving. Makes 6 (2/3 cup) servings.
Nutrition Per Serving: 168 Calories, 5 g Fiber, 5 g Protein
Source: Better Homes & Gardens