- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 T Chipotle Mustard + extra to spread
- a generous pinch of salt
- 2 hamburger buns (use Oroweat Sandwich Thins)
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- a handful of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced thinly
- a handful of fresh baby spinach cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 toothpicks
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium bowl add 2 T of chipotle mustard and a generous pinch of salt to the ground turkey. Using your hands, mix gently until everything is thoroughly combined. Roll meat into very small balls, roughly 1 1/2 inches across and set on a rimmed cookie sheet. (about 16.) Press each ball down gently to slightly flatten . Bake for 10 minutes, remove and lay a small piece of cheese over each burger. Return to oven for 1-2 more minutes until cheese is melted and burgers are cooked through.
While the burgers are cooking, spread mustard on buns and cut into 1-inch pieces. Prepare remaining ingredients and have everything ready when the burgers come out of the oven. Assemble burgers on toothpicks by stabbing some bread (mustard side down), then lettuce, then tomato, then a burger, then the other piece of bread (mustard side up). When you put them on a serving dish, press everything down a bit — that will help them stand up.
Makes 16 appetizers (serving about 8), or dinner for 4 people.
Source: Perry’s Plate