- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup shredded basil
- ½ cup marcona almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread, cut into ¼-inch slices (about 12 slices)
Using a box grater, coarsely grate the zucchini. Place the shredded zucchini in the middle of a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons of salt. Let sit for 5 minutes, then squeeze the towel to remove excess moisture. Repeat until as much liquid as possible has been released, then transfer the zucchini to a bowl.
Add the garlic, basil, almonds, thyme, Parmigiano-Reggiano, lemon juice, lemon zest and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil to the zucchini; toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate for an hour.
Just before serving, drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the bread and grill or broil the bread until toasted, then let cool. Top each slice of bread with about 3 tablespoon of the zucchini pesto and serve immediately.
Source: Yum Sugar