- 1 cup dried (whole wheat) orzo pasta
- 8 – 10 medium asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch segments
- 1/2 a medium head of broccoli (or broccolini), cut into small trees
- small handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, mashed with a big pinch of salt and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- a small handful of sprouts
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted
- 1/2 small cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium avocado, sliced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously and boil the orzo per package instructions. Avoid over-boiling, you want your orzo to be cooked through, but maintain structure. About 30 seconds before the orzo is finished cooking stir the asparagus and broccoli into the orzo pot. Cook for the final 30 seconds, drain and run under a bit of cold water. Just long enough to stop the cooking.
In the meantime, whisk together the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and more salt (if needed) into the dressing. Set aside.
When you are ready to serve the salad toss the orzo, asparagus, broccoli, and cilantro with about half the dressing. Add more dressing if needed, and toss well. Now add the sprouts, almonds, cucumber, avocado, and feta. Very gently toss a couple of times to distribute those ingredients throughout the salad and serve. Serves 4.
Source: 101 Cookbooks