- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
- 1 (15 oz) can of white kidney (cannellini) beans
- 1 tsp salt plus about 2 Tbsp for sweating the eggplants
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil (about four large leaves) plus several sprigs or leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or about half a clove of fresh garlic)
Spread your eggplant slices out in a single layer on a cutting board or cookie sheet. Sprinkle both sides liberally with salt and let sit for 30-60 minutes.
In a blender or food processor, combine beans, 1 tsp salt lemon juice, basil, olive oil, and garlic powder. Blend until well combined.
Preheat grill or boiler to medium-high. Once eggplants are finished sweating, rinse the salt off and place them on the grill or broiler for about 3 minutes per side, until they are softened.
Assemble stacks by laying a slice of eggplant, a slice of tomato, another slice of eggplant, and about a tablespoon of the bean spread. Top with a sprig of basil, if desired. Makes about 8 stacks. *Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Low Fat, Refined Sugar Free
Source: Clean Green Simple