- About 16 small cucumbers, about 2 lbs., crisp Persian cucumbers or Japanese cucumbers work well
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds, ground
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar (or sugar)
- 1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil and chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon vegetarian stir-fry sauce
Wash the cucumbers and cut the ends off. Wet hands and sprinkle a little kosher salt on them, then rub the cucumbers with the salt, using about 1 teaspoon total. Let sit for 10 minutes.
Grind the sesame seeds and all all other desired ingredients. Mix well. Taste and adjust flavors. Cut the cucumbers in half, lengthwise. Pound gently, once or twice, with a mallet or rolling pin, to lightly smash cucumbers. Break into bite-sized pieces. Mix with sauce. Chill before serving.