- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (recipe HERE)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (gives the rich, creamy texture of butter and cream minus the fat)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan. Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber
Image: Gina’s Skinny Recipe
Recipe Source: Fitness Magazine