- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Remaining Ingredients: 8 (1 1/2-ounce) whole wheat English Muffins, toasted
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients; rub evenly over chicken. Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180°, turning occasionally. Let stand for 5 minutes. Shred with 2 forks.
To prepare sauce, while chicken grills, heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar and next 5 ingredients (through ground red pepper); cook 30 seconds. Stir in ketchup and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in chicken; cook 2 minutes.
Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture on bottom half of each bun.